Sunday, March 9, 2008

Another Thing . . . or more accurately, Another try at some Things

In the Flickr Thing, I got really frustrated that I couldn't get my Flickr Photos to go into Wordpress. I've been cutting and pasting code from Photobucket for a while, but today I ran into a glitch with that. (It was due to a new camera and a new method of uploading and had absolutely nothing to do with user error, I assure you.)

We took our kids on an outing yesterday and I actually had a lot of photos that I wanted to include in the post about the Firefighters Museum. I was then met with some challenges. 1) Did I want to have 18 photos lined up vertically at the bottom of the post? 2) I uploaded the photos to Flickr, but I couldn't find a way to resize them, nor code to add them to my existing post. 3) I figured out Flickr's "blog this" feature, but that made a separate blog post for each photo and muddied up my "recent posts" listing.

The answer: a slideshow, which I had learned about in the earlier Things and wasn't as difficult or scary as I thought it would be. But how to do it?

I put the photos in a "set" in Flickr and could view a slideshow there, but I couldn't find a way to embed that into my post. Through some help screens in Flickr, I found Flickrslidr and made a nice slideshow, but when I put it into Wordpress, the code was stripped out. So I turned to the Wordpress FAQ's, where I found links to three slide programs that will work with Wordpress. Since my photos were already in Flickr, I chose www.slide.com because it would grab my Flickr pics. Then, to my delight, I found that it would also make a slideshow of that particular set, and that I could customize the size so it would fit appropriately into my posts. The code was simple to embed in Wordpress, and it worked like a charm.

So I did it! I found a real-world application for some of the Things, and got it to do exactly what I wanted.

Now I just have to remember how to do it again next time.

No comments: