Thursday, March 6, 2008

Thing 16--Student 2.0 tools

Both of these tools look like they would be useful for students. In some ways, they remind me of the research guides we got in high school (back in the dark days of paper Readers' Guides and typewritten papers), but with the added benefit of a personalized timeline.

What could make these even more useful would be the ability to check off the parts that you've completed. Sometimes I get ambitious and do a lot of steps at once; it would be nice to mark them off to show my progress, and perhaps readjust the timeline. They also seem to be limited to research papers or similar projects. Thus, I was unable to tweak it enough to use it as a timeline for completing my 23Things.

It seems that requiring students to go through these steps would very useful in teaching them research and writing skills and in developing good habits. This is perhaps one of the most useful Things yet.

No comments: