Thursday, March 6, 2008

Thing 11--Tags and social bookmarking

Regarding tags: I have a hard time with tags. Perhaps it's because I like controlled language. I'm afraid that if I start tagging things, I won't remember what tags I've used before, and therefore they won't be of much use to me. This is one reason I prefer Wordpress to Blogspot for my other blog; in Wordpress I can set up hierarchical categories, whereas in Blogspot I can only use labels or tags. (Wordpress has the advantage of allowing categories and tags so I have even more flexibility.) Tags in bookmarks don't help me that much because I already have my bookmarks set up in folders.

Regarding del.icio.us: When I first looked at this site, I didn't like it, but I thought I'd try it for a few days and see if I changed my mind. I still am not a fan. For me, it took a lot of time to add bookmarks to it, think of tags, and switch between the windows to get back to what I was doing. I prefer to just use my bookmarks in Internet Explorer. If I know I'll be using another computer and will need my bookmarks, I upload them to iGoogle so I have access to them. Perhaps del.icio.us would be useful if I were doing research on a particular topic, or if I often used shared computers. Maybe.

No comments: