Friday, March 7, 2008

No, this isn't Star Wars (Thing 19)

For some reason, the word "podcast" always makes me think of Star Wars. I'm not sure why, but it's an association I have a hard time dismissing.

I've subscribed to podcasts in the past; there's a segment on WCCO that I like to listen to but rarely catch live. So I subscribed to the podcast, and found . . . that unlike glancing through a list of feeds, it takes a lot of time to listen to a podcast. So I would see the list of topics, and think, "Wow! That looks interesting. Maybe I'll listen to it someday." And someday never came. So while I don't doubt that there are interesting and/or useful podcasts available, I don't think it's something I'd be inclined to take the time to do unless it was something I was very specifically interested in (like the feed of my husband's parents when they were interviewed on the radio).

I looked at some podcast directories as well as the library and Minnesota ones listed. I was disappointed that it took a lot of time to load the podcast of Wanda Erickson but found it to be interesting once it had finished loading. Like so many Web 2.0 things, the availability of resources and Internet speeds may affect usability.

No comments: