Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Blog, blog, blog . . .

OK, I'll admit it. I like to play around with various programs just to see how they work. So for this, using Blogger to set up the blog gave me a good chance to play around with a new program.

I'm already pretty familiar with Wordpress; I've been using it with my Travels with Children blog for a while now. After an evening of exploring the Blogger menus, here's what I think.

Right away, I missed built-in statistics in Blogger. Wordpress puts these together automatically. On the other hand, I added Sitemeter easily enough to my Blogger writings, but apparently in Wordpress I'm using on of the templates where Sitemeter just doesn't work, for whatever reasons. Wish I would have known that before I spent a half hour adding the html.

Wordpress wins for adding web links to a page. I can get a basic url to show in Blogger, but to have the title show as a hotlink I had to pull out my old manual html skills.

Wordpress also has a lot more template style options available, although you can play with the colors in Blogger to tweak a template a little more. Each has some interesting things that you can add; I like the poll option in Blogger but it's easier to move objects around in Wordpress.

In Wordpress, I can add various pages on different topics within the blog. If that's available in Blogger, I haven't found it yet. I also haven't explored Blogger's category structure yet. Wordpress allows levels of categories with "parents" and is very flexible in its category listings.

Overall, I'm more pleased with Wordpress at this point. Blogger seems good for a beginner or a straightforward blogger who just writes each day. Wordpress seems to be more organize-able. Perhaps I'll change my mind as I play with Blogger more, however.

No comments: