Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thing 30: Delicious and Feeds (Hungry, anyone?)

I read the article on seven tips for RSS reader and found it to be interesting, but I'm not sure how many of the items I'd actually use. I do agree with the first item, oversubscribing, as that's exactly what I do. I have my feeds in Google Reader categorized, and then I scan them periodically, skimming the titles and reading the ones that interest me. It's a lot like reading the newspaper: I don't read every article, but make a judgment based on the headline. I might read the Travel section one time and the Social section the next, and just mark some as read if I don't have the time to get through them all, while still continuing the subscription.

I did think it was interesting that Google Reader has problems with 1000+ feeds. I have trouble keeping up with the 250 I have.

Delicious still baffles me. I understand having bookmarks online for ease of access, but the social element of bookmarks--sharing, tagging for others, subscribing to people's bookmarks--still confuses me. I'm not sure I want anyone subscribing to my bookmarks. Maybe it would be different if I used Delicious for research projects, etc., but for my personal bookmarks, I don't get it. (Someone feel free to enlighten me on this subject.) I usually put my bookmarks in igoogle so I have access to them but no one else does.

1 comment:

Zoma said...

I use Delicious everyday and like the way I can organize my bookmarks. As for the social aspect, I can click on one of my "tags" and find other sites that people have bookmarked with that tag that I might not have known about. For instance, I can click on my "geocaching" tag and find sites that other users have tagged with that. I have subscribed to several Delicious users who tag alot of Web 2.0 sites, since I'm interested in those as well. I hope this makes sense! Wow, you are really cruising on the "more things"!