Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thing 26: Tweet, Tweet

With 2,391 followers, I think I've figured out twitter.

I've used twitter to get recipes, tech support, book-read ideas, travel tips, discount codes, and more. I've asked random questions (What is your favorite apple?) and gotten a ton of responses.

The key to twitter is to follow people. If you follow, most will follow you back. Follow as many as you feel comfortable with. 20-50 you can probably keep up with all their conversations. A few hundred you can glance through once a day. More than that, and you can jump on as often as you wish and catch a few minutes' worth of the twitter stream.

I recommend using a twitter app like twhirl or tweetdeck to help you organize and keep from having to refresh the screen constantly.

I'd love to see more libraries on twitter. It would be quick and easy to send out a tweet: "Don't forget book club tonight at XYZ Library!"

If you have twitter-newbie questions, let me know and I'll try to help. Follow me. Send me an @ reply. I enjoy twitter conversations.

No comments: