Sunday, February 10, 2008

Online Collabor-what? (Thing 9)

Well, this Thing actually looks like it has real-life use potential! As secretary for our library board, I've sent minutes and other documents as attachments, but invariably one or two members couldn't open them. Sometimes it would work if I sent them again individually instead of to the list, but it was frustrating and time-consuming to send them, learn that they hadn't worked, try to re-send them, and so on.

I looked at both Zoho and Google Docs and tried Google Docs for a few reasons.
  1. It seemed easier to use, meaning I could look at the screen and figure out how to upload a document, invite people, edit, and so on. Zoho's screen had a lot of stuff on it and it overwhelmed me. I figured that if it wasn't user-friendly for me, it wouldn't be user-friendly for others.
  2. I already have mailing lists set up in Google so I didn't have to type in a bunch of e-mail addresses again.

I actually pulled in my entire library board to help with this Thing. I put up a Word document that is a work-in-progress and invited them all to be collaborators on it, and offered this up as a possibility for future sharing of information if it turns out to be easy to use. I'll post back later if I get any feedback.

No comments: